Boasts: Alvone Maybury, 24, had videos on his cell phone showing him brandishing guns and threatening gang rivals. *File photo by Kageaki Smith
Boasts: Alvone Maybury, 24, had videos on his cell phone showing him brandishing guns and threatening gang rivals. *File photo by Kageaki Smith
A gunman who kept videos of himself playing with a pistol on his BlackBerry has been convicted of a gang-related shooting.

Alvone Maybury, 24, opened fire at Parkside gang members outside Captain’s Lounge in Reid Street last December.

Maybury — who has links with their rivals, the 42 gang — told detectives he did not pull the trigger after the two groups met at the Hamilton bar.

But yesterday a Supreme Court jury rejected his account and found him guilty of a string of gun charges.

During the trial, the court heard how Maybury went to the Captain’s Lounge on December 18 armed with a pistol.

He shot at Parkside members in the street after discussions between the two gangs broke down and a fight erupted.

He then fled the scene in a getaway car. No one was injured as a result of the shooting.


Maybury was arrested two days later in Hamilton and police seized his BlackBerry.

They recovered several short videos from the cellphone in which he paraded around wielding a gun and hurled threats at members of Parkside.

In one clip he is heard making references to “Parkside n****s”, adding  that “n****s are coming for you guys real soon, trust me, ya big time”.

In another video, filmed on the morning of the shooting, he is seen on camera with a gun and bullets laid out on a bed.

Maybury says “n****s are ready for war” then points the gun at the camera and says “pop, pop”.

In a third clip, taken just hours after the shooting, he does a forward roll before jumping up with a gun in his hand and points it at the camera. Prosecutors told the jury that Maybury was posing like “John Wayne”.

Counsel Carrington Mahoney suggested Maybury’s own cell phone had provided much of the evidence against him. In January, Maybury tried to strike a deal with police in return for providing information about the whereabouts of a firearm.

It helped officers seize a Beretta semi-automatic handgun from a dumpster outside Traditions restaurant in Sandys.

Forensic tests on a bullet recovered from the scene soon after the Reid Street shooting showed it had been fired from the same pistol. Further tests on Maybury’s cell phone revealed traces of gunshot residue on it.

Maybury chose not to take the stand and give an account of what happened on the day of the shooting.

He told detectives when he was interviewed that he had not been armed at the Captain’s Lounge and had not been the shooter.

But just after 3pm yesterday the jury found Maybury guilty of possessing a prohibited weapon, discharging a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition.


He showed little emotion as the verdict was returned but was reluctant to stand when Puisne Judge Carlisle Greaves addressed him.

Maybury, of no fixed abode, was remanded in custody and a sentencing date will be set on November 1. Yesterday, police said Bermuda is a safer place today following the conviction of Maybury.

Chief Inspector Nick Pedro praised the work of his officers and the Department of Public Prosecutions in taking a “dangerous criminal” off the streets.

He said: “This is someone who had access to firearms and demonstrated he was not afraid to use one in a public place with a high degree of recklessness — firing it into a group of people.

“Make no mistake, Bermuda is a safer place following this conviction.

“This demonstrates that the police and the DPP have the ability to bring convictions on cases that matter.

“While most people are sleeping in their beds there are many officers collecting evidence and arresting people, enabling us to get this type of conviction.

“This was a particularly brazen act on a busy thoroughfare of the city.

“It is important we get the likes of Alvone Maybury off the streets.”


Mr. Pedro said securing a conviction is a lengthy process involving collaboration with the DPP.

He said: “We are having to demonstrate a more holistic case to modern juries. They expect to see forensic evidence, they expect to see more than just a confession.

“A lot of hard work goes into these types of cases, even when they seem relatively straight-forward.”


Bermuda ‘safer’ thanks to conviction

Dollar tattoo under his right eye, shackles around his feet... Alvone Maybury has become a household name this year.

But his penchant for the limelight seems to have led to his downfall.

From the moment he gave his guards the slip outside Magistrates’ Court on July 13 he earned notoriety as the Facebook Fugitive.

He taunted police in his daily updates on the website while he was on the run.

The 24-year-old boasted he was a “TV star” and detailed what he was eating and when he planned on giving himself up.

It was two weeks before officers tracked him down to a concrete outhouse off Glebe Road, Pembroke.

He was brought to court amid a huge police presence dressed in an orange prison suit bearing a large white “X”.


Maybury’s lifestyle and gang links were uncovered when police seized his BlackBerry after the Reid Street shooting.

Videos depicted him wielding a gun and issuing threats to members of the Parkside gang.

He seemed to relish pointing the gun at the camera — so much so that prosecutors branded him a “John Wayne” character.

But yesterday as he was convicted he cut a lonely figure and showed little emotion.

He sat quietly in the dock — only offering slight resistance when urged to get to his feet to be addressed by the judge.