Anthony Swan was sentenced to 12 years in prison for shooting at Troy "Yankee" Rawlins on Court Street in December 2009. *File photo
Anthony Swan was sentenced to 12 years in prison for shooting at Troy "Yankee" Rawlins on Court Street in December 2009. *File photo
The lengthy prison sentences given to two shooters should be a strong deterrent to anyone who considers picking up a gun, according to police.

This week Anthony Swan was jailed for 12 years for shooting at Raymond Troy “Yankee” Rawlins in broad daylight on Court Street.

Omari Gordon was sentenced to 10 years behind bars for opening fire when police tried to stop him during a routine traffic patrol.

Dave Mirfield, Assistant Commissioner of Police, said:  “This once again demonstrates that those who choose to pick up guns and engage in criminal acts will be pursued, will be caught and punished by the courts.

“I sincerely hope that this long sentence of imprisonment will act as a deterrent.”

Swan, 22, opened fire at Mr. Rawlins as he sat in a van parked outside the C&R Discount store last December.

Gang links

Prosecutors said Swan had links with the 42 gang and targeted Mr. Rawlins because of his perceived association with rivals Parkside.

Mr. Rawlins was not injured as a result of the shooting but he was later murdered in the entrance to the Spinning Wheel in August of this year.

Swan denied taking part in the shooting during his trial even though the incident was captured in CCTV.

He was also arrested wearing clothes matching the description of the shooter.

The jury rejected Swan’s account and found him guilty of a raft of firearms offences including shooting Mr. Rawlins with intent to do him grievous bodily harm and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Detective Chief Inspector Nicholas Pedro, Officer in Charge of the Serious Crime Unit said: “The flagrant disregard for life was apparent in chilling images of this incident captured on Hamilton CCTV cameras.

“The sentencing of Mr. Swan to 12 years imprisonment represents the culmination of several months of dedicated work by members of the Police Service, and the prosecutors in the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

“This should again serve as a strong reminder to all members of the public that gun and gang crime in any shape or form, will not be tolerated.”

Meanwhile Gordon fired a single shot as he was being chased by police through Hamilton.

Officers had tried to stop him when they noticed he was riding his motorbike without the headlights at 3am on November 29, 2008.

The 28-year-old lost control of his motorbike near Curving Avenue.

But he escaped from pursuing police after firing a single shot.

Gordon managed to evade police for more than a year — changing his appearance by losing weight and growing facial hair.

He was eventually arrested in January this year after police found him hiding out in a Sandys home, following a tip-off from a member of the public.

Detectives believe he had remained in Bermuda throughout his time as a fugitive.

When he appeared at Supreme Court Gordon initially denied firing a gun. But he later changed his story and admitted discharging a firearm in public.